Tuesday, February 26

Raw

You're a champion.
I live under your moon and sun.
I look at the shelf of all the trophies you've won.
The veteran.
But sometimes you have PTS.
Post-traumatic syndrome, with your flashbacks.
What's up with that?
Saying that I'm caught up with my past.
But on your most honest moments, when you empty that glass,
You talk about your great last.
And I don't say nothing, because I'm not that girl.
I want you to speak your mind to me, like LL said, let our love unfurl.
But it seems like we started so quick and so great
And all we can come up with is this, and we can't get past it.
Yes, you're a good man-- but I too am great
I'm almost at your level with my young age.
You're the veteran, I'm new school
With my old school ways, I'm no young fool.
I've tripped on different rocks as you,
And we all know that I have my faults with you.
But I man up to the responsibility,
I admit I wronged you, is there something I can do to make it up to you baby?
Because it seems like there isn't, the way you hold things against me.
Don't get it twisted baby boy, you're not a saint either.
But I'm not one to hold it above your head, it's not in me, mister.
But sometimes I wish the pain was physical, but it's not.
It's in here, where my passion for you still burns hot,
But you forgot.
Because the things you say to me makes me wonder
Why do I want to stay with you and become your baby's mother?
You're so clever
With your words that break my heart
I have no tears, but you tear me apart.
But I'm still here, still reaching out my hand
Trying to work things out because you're my man
And I understand.
You have your demands.
I try to live up to them, but if this ever ends
I hope we can still be friends.
Because our love for each other is like the one in 'On Bended Knee'
It just pisses me off that it's enough for you to be you, and not enough for me to be me.

2 comments:

belle said...

loving it. so real and so very raw....CORE hahahha

Anonymous said...

That was an amazing poem, I really love it. Your becoming an amazing writer as each day goes by. I shocks me to see your progression. You have this odd natural ability.

To respond to this poem. I think your right with everything you have to say. I think in the beginning I was scared of being hurt so I layed it on thick. I always say it is ultimately your decision in this process we call life and and our relationship.

You really think I want something more from you? If you really think back to the past weeks and seconds we have spent together. I have enjoyed you being you.

Sometimes we can't see the change in other people because we don't too.